Washington Nationals Will Release All-Star Starlin Castro Over Alleged Domestic Violence

Posted on

The Washington Nationals said Friday they will release infielder Starlin Castro after he completes an unpaid 30-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy.

The Nationals announcement came immediately after the 31-year-old Castro was suspended by MLB.

“We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously,” the Nationals said in a statement about Castro, a four-time All-Star. “We fully support the Commissioner’s decision and will release Starlin Castro once his suspension is complete.”

The Nationals had signed Castro to a two-year deal in January 2020.

General Manager Mike Rizzo said last week that “I have no intention of getting him back this season” after Castro was placed on administrative leave by MLB on July 16 as it investigated the allegations.

“After reviewing all of the available evidence, I have come to the conclusion that Mr. Castro has violated our policies and that this discipline is appropriate,” said MLB Commissioner Robert Manfred Jr.

Castro’s suspension, effective Friday, also includes an undisclosed fine for violating MLB’s policies on joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.

MLB’s announcement did not provide details about the allegations.

The penalty also means that Castro will not be eligible to participate in the playoffs or the World Series this season.

Castro must also “participate in a confidential and comprehensive evaluation and treatment program overseen by the Joint Policy Board,” according to MLB.

During his 12-year MLB career, Castro played for the Chicago Cubs, Miami Marlins and New York Yankees.

Correction: in an earlier version the title of Rizzo was wrong. He is the general manager of the Nationals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Similar Posts